*A note on transaction fees
A small £1.50 fee is added to each transaction. This covers the cost of getting your tickets booked, that’s everything from the booking software to card charges. We don’t charge this to make a profit.
Two Week Course
Arrietty At Exeter Phoenix
Introduction To Dressmaking
For this course you will need to be able to use a sewing machine independently to join this course. If you are not confident using a machine please look at the suitability of our Sewing Basics course.
During this two week course you will learn how to make a sleeveless shift dress (pattern provided) You will cover:
- Background to adapting a pattern to fit your measurements
- How to read a pattern and cut out your fabric
- Add Darts
- Insert a Zip
- Use Facings
- Sewing Hems
- Getting the right length and change the Neck-Line of your dress
Lesley Strath is a professional seamstress with many years’ experience, making and designing bespoke wedding dresses. She has been working as a sewing tutor for Arrietty for the past 4 years.
Week One is Pattern adapting and no machine or fabric is required. All you need for the first week is:
- A pen and paper
- Basic sewing kit (if you have one)
In week two, you will need to provide your own fabric – which will be explained in week one. Please get in touch if you have any queries about this.
If you are booking onto this course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know:
- Your bust, waist and hips measurements via email ASAP so we can make up your patterns. (If in doubt, go for widest, narrowest and widest measurement for each)
- Whether you would like to use your own sewing machine, or if you would like to use one of ours.
Venue: Exeter Phoenix