*Subject to a £1.50 ticketing system charge. We don’t charge this to make a profit. Find out more >>
Japanese Woodblock Printing
One Day Workshop
Learn the ancient skill of Japanese watercolour woodblock printing. This beautifully subtle and painterly technique is ideal for those wishing to print at home without a press. The workshop is aimed at everyone, from beginners to printmakers wanting to learn this beautiful technique. Enjoy a fun day of carving and printing with an emphasis on expiration and play.
Level: Introduction to woodblock printing and designed for a range of abilities, including beginners
- designing for woodblock
- piecing out the design onto wood
- using cutting tools safely for a clean print
- managing paper, rice and paints
- printing and aftercare
Materials: All materials will be provided by the tutor. The items you will need to bring with you are listed below.
Please bring with you:
- Any sketches or photos that inspire you, but this is not compulsory (Keep ideas simple!!!)
- you might like to bring your own watercolours (which must be in tubes) as the tutor will just have basic colours
- Any of your own paint brushes you want to use.
- Wear something that can be splashed without disaster, (although it is not a particularly messy process)
- A cushion for your bums
Tutor: Adrian Holmes
Adrian’s authentic understanding of the woodblock printing methods comes from years of devoted study and practice in Japan. His personal practice is based in Cornwall and centers around semi-abstract works landscapes and places.
Cafe Bar Discount
All workshop attendees are eligible for a 10% discount on hot drinks and food from our café. You are also welcome to bring a packed lunch to eat up in the studio.
Venue: Exeter Phoenix
This course was previously listed as Sat 22 Feb.